Aug 3, 2015

The Akrotiri Lighthouse

Akrotiri lighthouse stands on the southwestern cusp of Santorini. Built by the French company La Société Collas et Michel in 1892, its mission was to guide shipping between Pireus and Alexandria, Egypt. The lighthouse, in fact, lies exactly on the axis of the shipping lane between the two ports. It also guides vessels and cruise ships into the harbor of Santorini or in the caldera, past a popular rock known as “The Indian”. This rock is named after the profile of the face that seems to appear in it.

The lighthouse was destroyed during World War II, as a lighthouse destruction tactic was followed, in an effort to keep the seas of the Allies in darkness. It was rebuilt though in 1945, was electrified in 1983 and it was automated in 1988. It’s 10m high and has a range of 24 nautical miles.