Sep 14, 2014

Church of the Holy Cross


The church of the Holy Cross is one of the largest churches of Santorini, situated in the square of Perissa. The original church was built in 1835-1840 and was the only building in the area until 1950. It was destroyed by the big earthquake in 1956 but was later rebuilt.
One of the biggest fairs of the island is therefore held this morning. The blue dome church is already freshly painted and decorated with colourful flags. After the morning service, free food and plenty of wine will be distributed to the people in the beautiful courtyard of the church.